With all of the questions arising and with so much information being thrown out there; touching on the subject of sleep seemed crucial.
What about it?
Everyone in the entire world needs sleep. We can’t function without it. As a mom of 4, soon to be 5, children, I know what it is like to have a constant lack of sleep. From the precious newborn stage where we operate on fumes, to the preteen phase where they all the sudden need something at 2 in the morning.
Throughout my journey with oils, sleep has been the number one thing that people have asked me about. They come to me with the stories that I dealt with, oh so often before my family found Young Living. I would hear ‘I can’t get sleep because my children don’t sleep!’, or ‘my mind just won’t calm down and let me relax to fall into that sleep’. There have been too many encounters to even remotely name them all, but with sleep as an enormous priority in all people’s lives, I definitely feel the need to write on the subject.
One important detail to mention when discussing sleep is our bodies internal clock, or circadian rhythm. This is when someone would naturally fall asleep, and naturally wake up. This varies from person to person and situation to situation.
One key factor in better sleep, is ensuring that our bodies internal clock is set to a healthy schedule.
So, are you getting enough?
Studies indicate that infants 4-12 months need to sleep 12-16 hours a day including naps, children 1-2 years of age should sleep 11-14 hours a day including naps, children 3-5 years of age sleep 10-13 hours a day including naps, ages 6-12 sleep 9-12 hours a day, teens 13-18 sleep 8-10 hours a day and adults sleep 7-8 hours a day.
So, you look at that and think, I am definitely not getting enough sleep, or maybe I am getting enough sleep but don’t feel rested.
In addition to the amount of hours slept, it is important to note that quantity is not always the problem, it could be the quality of your sleep. It is important to have enough REM and Non-REM sleep in your schedule.
So how does any of this correlate to what we went through as a family, and the many other families that have reached out to me.
A healthy sleeping routine, and good sleep support is crucial to a healthy restful sleep which results in a happier healthier you.
So, why oils?
I know it seems crazy that a plant can help our sleep quality.
There are MANY known oils to help aid with relaxation and have a calming effect on the body.
Many testimonies, mine included, have shown how God’s beautiful plant oils can help support and promote healthy rest.
So what oils will help you get a better night’s sleep?
Well, there is no easy answer to that. Our bodies are made uniquely and are so different from one another, that there is no one miracle oil that will be the fix all. What works for me and my family, may not work for yours and vice versa. What I can do is encourage you and let you know that there are TONS of oils out there, and YOUR oil for sleep support is out there. It is just finding the right one for you and your needs. In addition to oils, there are also nutritionals that Young Living has developed that can help promote healthy rest. The key is finding out what works best for you!
So what do I suggest?
I suggest starting with the basic oils known best for their relaxation properties. Then add, tweak and change your oil blends or applications to what you feel you need most. Below I will list the blend that works for our family, but also some additional options that may work for you and your family!
My families sleepy time blend:
Young Living’s Cedarwood, Purification (found in Premium Starter Kit), and Lavender (found in Premium Starter Kit), topped off with organic grapeseed oil as a carrier in our roller ball blend.
Other options that may work for you!
- Young Living’s single oils: Orange, Lavender (found in Premium Starter Kit), Goldenrod, Mandarin, Valerian, and Roman Chamomile.
- Young Living’s blends: Peace and Calming (this one is another awesome one we sometimes use in a pinch!), Hope, Humility, Trauma Life, Tranquil Roll-On, Surrender, RutaVala and RutaVala Roll-On and Stress Away (found in Premium Starter Kit and one my husband frequently uses at night).
- Young Living’s Nutritionals: SleepEssence, ImmuPro, Essentialzyme, MegaCal, Mineral Essence, OmegaGize, Life5, and Thyromin.
In the kids line there is also SleepyIze. This is a blend that comes pre-diluted and ready for use on children ages 2 and up.
Which one will work for you? I cannot give you an exact answer to that question! I really wish I could. Just know there is an oil out there for you.
I will give you 2 pieces of advice.
- Quality matters. Our family went with Young Living due to their exceptional quality standards. These MUST be met before it makes its way into the home. When something is being applied topically, being inhaled into peoples’ lungs, or in some cases ingested, at the end of the day; TOP quality matters.
- Purchase a kit. It seems like a lot up front, but it really isn’t in the long run. Especially considering you may want to try additional oils, even for other things! This will give you wholesale cost on the oils you want to try. It will give you a healthy amount of oils to begin your oily journey with.
Hopefully you were able to gain information and how oils can work to support a healthy sleep cycle.
I am here if you need anything, anything at all.
If you want to contact me don’t hesitate to head over to my CONTACT page and connect with me!